Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Resilient Kids, Flexible Adults

When I invited Dr. Robert Brooks to speak at our school for behaviorally and emotionally disturbed kids in May 2002 we packed the place. He spoke about the topic of his new book "Raising Resilient Children." As it says on the title the book is about "fostering strength, hope, and optimism in your child." Dr. Brooks and his writings have had a powerful impact on my mindset to raising my own children and when working with the behaviorally challenged youth at my school.

My work involves helping children in crisis. That's behavioral crisis, emotional crisis, and usually a combination of both. Children come of a large geographic area that includes 5 counties and over 30 school districts. Our maximum capacity is 42 kids that are divided into 7 classes. On average we receive about 12-20 acute behavioral crises each day.

In the future I'll be sharing many of the ways we support some of the most fragile children and family systems. Stay tuned...

Also check out another resource: RaisingStrongKids..a free lens I created for viewing.

No comments:

Search It!

Google