Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Personal Development: Young People

I work with kids, parent kids, coach kids, and write about kids. That’s what I do. What ages? All ages really, and I love it.

The purpose of this blog is to highlight the importance of how we can help kids and young adults to grow up in a healthy and positive way. That’s a tall order really and I know it. But I am really confident that when you really have energy for important things…you usually come up with the best methods of attaining a goal.

My basic premise is that kids who grow up and become smart ( not just academically) are normally healthy, positive, and in some way trained to be strong and resilient through adversity. Normally this takes great parenting and a kid/teen who is resilient.

There are so many things that help kids/teens to become resilient and responsible young adults. I can think of many ideas that promote this type of self discipline…

  • household chores
  • childcare (home or neighbor)
  • school work value
  • valuing friendships (this must be an ongoing discussion especially with girls!)
  • maintaining a job or even a scheduled web project such as the Lemonade Experiment (which my seven year old promotes).

The point is that kids who are involved in “thinking activities” usually have a better chance to be creative with innovative ideas. There’s so much to write about on this subject…so more later.

No comments:

Search It!

Google