Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Excercise...some thoughts

Today I got home and decided I would take my two girls on a jog! Not so easy to accomplish when my wife was heading off to work (she's an outstanding Physical Therapist) and I'm left with the two highly energetic kids (ages 7 (almost) and 2 and a half).

Anyway, I managed it. I told my oldest that we were going for a run (she happens to be fast, but rather unmotivated to use this skill at the moment). So she strapped on her sneaks and I broke out the navigator. Umm, the navigator is our wagon...

I put my youngest in the wagon-she wanted none of it-and off we went. We jogged a half mile to the park. We took a break to swing and play tag then got back to jogging. This time we had a little further to go and my oldest did great. She developed a cramp but I put on my "coach" hat and told her to work through the pain! It's amazing. Why?...?

If I told her to work through the pain of cleaning her room...I would meet with all kinds of resistance. But there's something about exercise that drives people. I really mean it. She worked through it and finished. Actually, I even let Meghan (Two and a half) out and she ran a full quarter mile without stopping, mostly up hill! Go Megster!

They were both so proud of themselves at the end. It was electric!

The Point:

Exercise is medicine. Give it to your kids everyday.

No comments:

Search It!

Google